Do you need immigration advice in California?
The processes of immigration and naturalization in the United States are very complex. Several different laws, regulations, and procedures govern the entry of temporary visitors and permanent residents into the United States. Plus, there are multiple paths to entry and citizenship. Foreign nationals wanting to holiday, study, or work in California could take many distinct and separate paths to get here.
What path and process through the United States visa and immigration system is right for you? A California immigration lawyer will know. The Los Angeles immigration lawyers at Greco Neyland Attorneys at Law provide complete, strategic, and thoughtful immigration advice – no matter what immigration question or issue you have.
Find a top immigration lawyer in Los Angeles.
Visas, Tourists, and Temporary Visitors
The most frequent category of people coming to the United States each year apply for entry through a tourist or temporary visa process. These visas are also called non-immigrant visas. Each non-immigrant visa is for a set duration of time and only for a specific purpose.
At Greco Neyland in Los Angeles, our team has extensive experience and success assisting foreign nationals with these temporary visas. We regularly work with individuals coming to the U.S. for tourism or a temporary business purpose, and those wishing to stay longer under a work, study, or family visa.
- Visitor Visa: most foreign nationals need a standard visitor visa to come to California for business meetings, finalize contract negotiations, and tourism. There are exceptions for 38 countries admitted to the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, a list that includes Australia, Japan, South Korea, Germany, France, and the United Kingdom.
- Student Visa: California welcomes hundreds of thousands of international students to universities and high schools each year. These students are granted special non-immigrant visas to study in the United States under several different visa schemes, each specific to a certain duration and type of study.
- Employment Visas: Multinational corporations, startups, and sporting events all require the talents and skills of overseas workers, but you can’t work in the United States without an employment visa or permanent residency.
- Entertainer Visas: Performers, athletes, and artists can come to California for shows, concerts, or sporting events under special visas for entertainers. There are six separate entertainment visas issues in the United States, and an immigration lawyer can help determine which is the correct path for your situation or performance obligations.
- Family Visas: Special visas are issued for the family members and spouses of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. These visas are temporary and do not allow for immigration or permanent residency, but do provide families the opportunity to reunite, travel, and visit in California.
Permanent Residency and Green Cards
The application process for permanent residency, also known as a Green Card, is time-consuming and complicated. Only 675,000 people can be approved each year, excepting some rare cases for immediate family members. Being among these 675,000 is far easier with the advice and assistance of the lawyer at Greco Neyland in L.A.
There are several documents and forms that must be completed accurately and submitted properly. These processes require the detailed knowledge of a Los Angeles immigration lawyer and self-representation through the application and interviewing processes for permanent residency isn’t recommended.
Our immigration team at Greco Neyland assists U.S. citizens to sponsor petitions for permanent residency and foreign nationals to apply through other processes.
- Family-based applications: Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens can apply for permanent residency in California. This is the most frequent path to permanent residency and requires evidence of a spouse, unmarried child, or parent a minor child as a U.S. citizen.
- Employment-based applications: Highly skilled workers that are greatly in demand in the United States can apply for permanent residency on this basis. Several eligibility requirements must be met and proven in your application, and the advice of a lawyer experienced with this process is necessary.
- Special immigrants: Green Cards are also awarded to foreign nationals who are religious workers, asylum seekers, or the victims of human trafficking. These separate paths to permanent residency can be lengthy and fact-intensive, with immigration officials needing to confirm several pieces of information about your history and right to permanent residency.
- Diversity Visa Program: 50,000 immigrants are awarded Green Cards each year through the Diversity Visa Program. Established by the Immigration Act of 1990 and known as the Green Card Lottery, the Diversity Visa Program seeks to award permanent residency to those countries that are underrepresented in other avenues of U.S. immigration.
Naturalization and Citizenship
There are three broad steps in the path to U.S. citizenship. Greco Neyland can help you navigate each one.
- First, you must be the legal recipient of a Green Card and permanent residency in the United States.
- Second, you must be 18 years of age, pass the basic English requirements for reading, writing, and speaking and be of good moral character.
- Third, you must submit the application for naturalization in the United States and complete the 10-step naturalization process.
Throughout the entire process of naturalization and citizenship, the team at Greco Neyland tracks your important deadlines, reviews and finalizes documents and paperwork, assists with preparation for the Naturalization Test, and provides advice on interviews and communication U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
Our team can also assist with obtaining dual citizenship and the appropriate process for giving up or losing your U.S. citizenship to become the citizen of a foreign country.
L.A.’s Immigration Lawyers
The qualified immigration lawyers at Greco Neyland in Los Angles also provide immigration services to individuals facing deportation, asylum seekers requiring representation at hearings and in court, and advice to recipients of DACA. Across this wide range of immigration services, our team has built a strong reputation for advocating swiftly and strongly for immigrants rights and the smoothest path to entry into the United States. Our knowledge and experience navigating these processes make Greco Neyland one of L.A.’s top immigration law firms.
We are L.A.’s immigration lawyers, and we are here to help.
CONTACT US NOW
Get Your Free Consultation
Our Practice Areas
Let Greco Neyland Help You Today!
Greco Neyland is proud to serve the following communities