An LA Visa Lawyer Explains: How Does the J-1 Visa Help You Train in the U.S.?

The U.S. is an incredibly popular place for students and trainees to improve their skills and start a career. For a very long time, the U.S. has actively promoted its reputation as the most popular student destination in the world, with over 500,000 foreign students accepted under the F-1 student visa in the early 2000’s.

Less is said about the opportunities for foreign nationals to gain valuable work experience in the U.S. The J-1 visa scheme allows foreigners to enter the U.S. as temporary workers, including in paid positions, for the purpose of training or cultural exchange. This could be new information to you, as an LA visa lawyer will encounter many people each year that doesn’t know this path to job training and experience exists.

How does the J-1 visa work and what is the process for application? We’ll explain here in this blog post!

What Is a J-1 Visa? 

The J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa that can be approved with the assistance of an LA visa immigration lawyer. Similar to other schemes for work and student visas, this means the J-1 visa doesn’t allow for permanent residency in the U.S. or offer a path to citizenship. Rather, a J-1 visa allows a foreign national to come to California, or elsewhere in the U.S. on a temporary basis. All non-immigration visas are approved for a particular purpose and specific period of time. It is illegal to engage in activities outside the scope of your J-1 visa.

As an LA visa lawyer can tell you, more specifically, the J-1 visa is appropriate for non-immigrants that want to visit LA for a study or work exchange. Inherent in these experiences is the temporary nature of the program and the explicit purpose. Recipients of the J-1 visa and their hosts are expected to provide an explanation of the exchange program and receive approval on the explicit details of that program. Therefore, changes in the program are difficult to have approved or modified once the visa is issued.

However, at the heart of the J-1 visa isn’t work or study. While these can be components of a specified program, the main purpose of an approved program or J-1 provider is cultural exchange. It is expected that a program would facilitate the sharing of American ideals and customs, while the visa recipient would simultaneously introduce Americans to their culture and background. Further, there is an expectation that a J-1 visa recipient will improve English language skills or learn new skills for a career or profession.

What Are the Eligibility Requirements for the J-1 Visa?

There are several different categories of the J-1 visa and each has its own set of eligibility requirements and criteria. The reason the J-1 visa categories are separated and distinct is each was added by a separate federal regulation. Upon the passing, the terms of each federal regulation continued to dictate the criteria and requirements of each J-1 visa category. For example, the category of a camp counselor is governed by a separate regulation from an intern.

Some of the other categories for the J-1 visa include secondary student, summer work travel, trainee, teacher, au pair, and alien physician. These categories all share a goal of cultural and work exchange, but as you can imagine requiring very different types of exchanges and programming. Therefore, the best way to learn the eligibility requirements for your intended program or exchange is from an LA visa lawyer.

One requirement that applies for all J-1 visa categories is requiring a sponsor or host for the J-1 visa. The organization or entity responsible for your exchange program is typically the sponsor. The only way to obtain approval for your visa application is through a sponsor already approved by the U.S. government to issue J-1 visas. To learn more about this process, speak to an LA lawyer.

What Is the Application Process for a J-1 Visa? 

The first step in your J-1 visa application is finding a designated or approved sponsor. The U.S. keeps a list of sponsors and potential programs on its immigration website. This is a fantastic place to begin. Otherwise, you can always initiate the process by contacting an LA visa immigration lawyer.

At Greco Neyland, our team of visa lawyers can assist with the entire J-1 application process, including a collection of documents, your interview, and through approval. In particular, if you were denied or delayed in an application for a J-1 visa, you should speak with an LA lawyer. Reach us at (213) 295-3500.


Get Your Free Consultation

Please enter your name.
Please enter a valid email.
Please enter a valid phone number.
Please enter a message.

Our Practice Areas

Let Greco Neyland Help You Today!

Areas Served

Greco Neyland is proud to serve the following communities